Allied Health and GYM Program

Our Lady of Consolation's Allied Health and GYM Programs provide a time-limited service that focuses on older clients who can make a functional gain after a setback. We use a ‘restorative care approach’ to improve or maintain older people’s health, wellbeing and independence to eligible care recipients. This may include one to one (personal), or group services that are delivered on a short term basis, delivered by, or under the guidance of an Exercise Physiologist.

The aim of our Allied Health and GYM program is to provide services that restore, improve or maintain older people’s health, wellbeing and independence under the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP).

Our service also includes an in-house Occupational Therapist (OT) to complete all required assessments related to any Home Modifications service jobs or referrals quickly and easily. We can also assist in obtaining access to OLOC’s Home Modification Service if required.

How to Get Started

You will have to have your needs assessed by a My Aged Care assessor. For assessment information or to organise an assessment you or your family can access the My Aged Care web portal or call 1800 200 422.

We would be happy to assist you in contacting My Aged Care and help you to navigate the government aged care system. Simply contact one of our friendly staff on (02) 9832 4599.

The regional assessment service will advise us of the level of service you have been approved for and for how long you may receive the service.

After the assessment we will make contact with you and organise to meet and discuss your needs.

Who Can Access Allied Health and GYM Program

You must be an older person, 65 years of age or over (or be an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person 50 years of age or over) living at home and require some help to remain living safe and independent. Then based on your assessment you may be eligible to receive assistance from the Allied Health and GYM Programs supplied by Our Lady of Consolation (OLOC).

We operate in the local government areas of: Blacktown, The Hills, Holroyd and Parramatta.

What Type of Services Might I Receive

Short term restorative care and services delivered by or under the guidance of a qualified Exercise Physiologist in a group and/or individual setting. Care recipients also have access to the services of an in-house Occupational Therapist (OT) to facilitate any necessary home modification assessments.

Paying for Allied Health and GYM Program Service

The staff at My Aged Care will assess your eligibility to receive Commonwealth Home Support Services such as the Allied Health and GYM Program. They will ask you to provide information on your income status, then they will provide you with some initial information on fees.

If your personal circumstances allow, you will be expected to contribute to the cost of the Respite and Wellness Service and our friendly staff will discuss our fees policy with you. We offer a range of payment options that we can tailor to meet your financial circumstances.

Our Commitment to You

We want to ensure that you are more than satisfied with the service you receive, and that it will help you to continue to live at home. However, if for some reason this is not the case then we would encourage you to contact us immediately on (02) 9832 4599 and your concerns will be dealt with promptly and professionally.

Whilst OLOC would prefer to have the opportunity to resolve all complaints directly in the first instance, If the resolution is not to your satisfaction or you prefer to use the external complaints procedure for CHSP services, which includes an independent review, we will assist you to do so. Please refer to the Concerns, Complaints and Suggestions section for further information.

The appropriate external agency for complaints about Commonwealth Home Support Program service provided to clients over 65 years old (or over 50 years of age for Aboriginal or Torres Strait island people) is the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner. Contact details are as follows:

Aged Care Complaints Commissioner
GPO Box 9848
(Letters should be marked ‘Confidential’)
Toll-free: 1800 550 552